Welcome to HostingForumz.com!
FAQFAQ    SearchSearch      ProfileProfile    Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in

How to enable HTTP PUT without WebDAV ?

 
   Web Hosting Problem Solving Community! (Home) -> IIS RSS
Next:  DotNet application running on IIS6.0  
Author Message
heiko_dev

External


Since: Jan 25, 2005
Posts: 4



(Msg. 1) Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:35 am
Post subject: How to enable HTTP PUT without WebDAV ?
Archived from groups: microsoft>public>inetserver>iis (more info?)

Hi

Anyone know how to enable HTTP PUT without WebDAV in IIS 6 ?

I am using InternetOpen/InternetConnect/HttpOpenRequest ... to upload
file. ie no ASP script or similar, -- else I would try adding PUT to the
application extensions

TIA

  Heiko Risser

 >> Stay informed about: How to enable HTTP PUT without WebDAV ? 
Back to top
Login to vote
wadeh

External


Since: Sep 03, 2003
Posts: 115



(Msg. 2) Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:55 pm
Post subject: Re: How to enable HTTP PUT without WebDAV ? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Hi Heiko,

The PUT handler in IIS 6 is implemented inside of WebDAV. There is no way
to get put without WebDAV.

Thank you,
-Wade A. Hilmo,
-Microsoft

"Heiko" wrote in message

 > Hi
 >
 > Anyone know how to enable HTTP PUT without WebDAV in IIS 6 ?
 >
 > I am using InternetOpen/InternetConnect/HttpOpenRequest ... to upload
 > file. ie no ASP script or similar, -- else I would try adding PUT to the
 > application extensions
 >
 > TIA
 >
 > Heiko Risser

 >> Stay informed about: How to enable HTTP PUT without WebDAV ? 
Back to top
Login to vote
heiko_dev

External


Since: Jan 25, 2005
Posts: 4



(Msg. 3) Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:35 am
Post subject: Re: How to enable HTTP PUT without WebDAV ? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Hi

Was hoping for a different answer Smile

Is it at all possible to enable WebDAV for separate websites.
AFAIK the setting is global.
We got like 10 different sites, and only one of them needs this upload
access (for a single folder). Would not like to open (wouldn't) up
security on all sites.

Thanx

  Heiko



Wade A. Hilmo [MS] wrote:
 > Hi Heiko,
 >
 > The PUT handler in IIS 6 is implemented inside of WebDAV. There is no way
 > to get put without WebDAV.
 >
 > Thank you,
 > -Wade A. Hilmo,
 > -Microsoft
 >


 >
  >>Hi
  >>
  >>Anyone know how to enable HTTP PUT without WebDAV in IIS 6 ?
  >>
  >>I am using InternetOpen/InternetConnect/HttpOpenRequest ... to upload
  >>file. ie no ASP script or similar, -- else I would try adding PUT to the
  >>application extensions
  >>
  >>TIA
  >>
  >>Heiko Risser
 >
 >
 >
 >> Stay informed about: How to enable HTTP PUT without WebDAV ? 
Back to top
Login to vote
wadeh

External


Since: Sep 03, 2003
Posts: 115



(Msg. 4) Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:45 pm
Post subject: Re: How to enable HTTP PUT without WebDAV ? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Hi Heiko,

The setting is global.

Thank you,
-Wade A. Hilmo,
-Microsoft

"Heiko" wrote in message

 > Hi
 >
 > Was hoping for a different answer Smile
 >
 > Is it at all possible to enable WebDAV for separate websites.
 > AFAIK the setting is global.
 > We got like 10 different sites, and only one of them needs this upload
 > access (for a single folder). Would not like to open (wouldn't) up
 > security on all sites.
 >
 > Thanx
 >
 > Heiko
 >
 >
 >
 > Wade A. Hilmo [MS] wrote:
  > > Hi Heiko,
  > >
  > > The PUT handler in IIS 6 is implemented inside of WebDAV. There is no
way
  > > to get put without WebDAV.
  > >
  > > Thank you,
  > > -Wade A. Hilmo,
  > > -Microsoft
  > >


  > >
   > >>Hi
   > >>
   > >>Anyone know how to enable HTTP PUT without WebDAV in IIS 6 ?
   > >>
   > >>I am using InternetOpen/InternetConnect/HttpOpenRequest ... to upload
   > >>file. ie no ASP script or similar, -- else I would try adding PUT to the
   > >>application extensions
   > >>
   > >>TIA
   > >>
   > >>Heiko Risser
  > >
  > >
  > >
 >> Stay informed about: How to enable HTTP PUT without WebDAV ? 
Back to top
Login to vote
someone9

External


Since: Aug 25, 2003
Posts: 2419



(Msg. 5) Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:04 am
Post subject: Re: How to enable HTTP PUT without WebDAV ? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

As Wade has said, you cannot get PUT without enabled WebDAV (which then
allows other verbs like LOCK, MOVE, etc to be valid).

I realize that it is not possible to enable WebDAV on a granular basis. But
it is possible to get close (with a little work).

I believe "Write" access in IIS Manager UI has to be enabled for the
vdir/URL in question to allow PUT to work. So, even though the verbs are
allowed, you still get to control where they function. You can also run
URLScan on a per-site basis on the other nine sites to disallow "Translate:
f" header, which stops most WebDAV behaviors from happening.

--
//David
IIS
<a rel="nofollow" style='text-decoration: none;' href="http://blogs.msdn.com/David.Wang" target="_blank">http://blogs.msdn.com/David.Wang</a>
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
//
"Heiko" wrote in message

Hi

Was hoping for a different answer Smile

Is it at all possible to enable WebDAV for separate websites.
AFAIK the setting is global.
We got like 10 different sites, and only one of them needs this upload
access (for a single folder). Would not like to open (wouldn't) up
security on all sites.

Thanx

Heiko



Wade A. Hilmo [MS] wrote:
 > Hi Heiko,
 >
 > The PUT handler in IIS 6 is implemented inside of WebDAV. There is no way
 > to get put without WebDAV.
 >
 > Thank you,
 > -Wade A. Hilmo,
 > -Microsoft
 >


 >
  >>Hi
  >>
  >>Anyone know how to enable HTTP PUT without WebDAV in IIS 6 ?
  >>
  >>I am using InternetOpen/InternetConnect/HttpOpenRequest ... to upload
  >>file. ie no ASP script or similar, -- else I would try adding PUT to the
  >>application extensions
  >>
  >>TIA
  >>
  >>Heiko Risser
 >
 >
 >
 >> Stay informed about: How to enable HTTP PUT without WebDAV ? 
Back to top
Login to vote
wadeh

External


Since: Sep 03, 2003
Posts: 115



(Msg. 6) Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:35 am
Post subject: Re: How to enable HTTP PUT without WebDAV ? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Pardon my jumping in here, but running UrlScan on a per-site basis is not
supported by Microsoft.

It can work, but there are some "gotchas". For example, if you have a
different instances of UrlScan installed as site filters, they cannot have
different configurations. For example, if you have 5 sites, each with a
copy of UrlScan and its ini file in a different directory, all 5 instances
of UrlScan will use the configuration from the first instance that's loaded
into memory. Since site filters are loaded on site initialization, the
first request to one of the sites will determine which instance is loaded
first, thus making it non-deterministic which configuration will apply,
unless all configurations are identical.

Thank you,
-Wade A. Hilmo,
-Microsoft

"David Wang [Msft]" wrote in message

 > As Wade has said, you cannot get PUT without enabled WebDAV (which then
 > allows other verbs like LOCK, MOVE, etc to be valid).
 >
 > I realize that it is not possible to enable WebDAV on a granular basis.
But
 > it is possible to get close (with a little work).
 >
 > I believe "Write" access in IIS Manager UI has to be enabled for the
 > vdir/URL in question to allow PUT to work. So, even though the verbs are
 > allowed, you still get to control where they function. You can also run
 > URLScan on a per-site basis on the other nine sites to disallow
"Translate:
 > f" header, which stops most WebDAV behaviors from happening.
 >
 > --
 > //David
 > IIS
<font color=purple> > <a rel="nofollow" style='text-decoration: none;' href="http://blogs.msdn.com/David.Wang</font" target="_blank">http://blogs.msdn.com/David.Wang</font</a>>
 > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.
 > //


 > Hi
 >
 > Was hoping for a different answer Smile
 >
 > Is it at all possible to enable WebDAV for separate websites.
 > AFAIK the setting is global.
 > We got like 10 different sites, and only one of them needs this upload
 > access (for a single folder). Would not like to open (wouldn't) up
 > security on all sites.
 >
 > Thanx
 >
 > Heiko
 >
 >
 >
 > Wade A. Hilmo [MS] wrote:
  > > Hi Heiko,
  > >
  > > The PUT handler in IIS 6 is implemented inside of WebDAV. There is no
way
  > > to get put without WebDAV.
  > >
  > > Thank you,
  > > -Wade A. Hilmo,
  > > -Microsoft
  > >


  > >
   > >>Hi
   > >>
   > >>Anyone know how to enable HTTP PUT without WebDAV in IIS 6 ?
   > >>
   > >>I am using InternetOpen/InternetConnect/HttpOpenRequest ... to upload
   > >>file. ie no ASP script or similar, -- else I would try adding PUT to the
   > >>application extensions
   > >>
   > >>TIA
   > >>
   > >>Heiko Risser
  > >
  > >
  > >
 >
 >
 >> Stay informed about: How to enable HTTP PUT without WebDAV ? 
Back to top
Login to vote
heiko_dev

External


Since: Jan 25, 2005
Posts: 4



(Msg. 7) Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:35 pm
Post subject: Re: How to enable HTTP PUT without WebDAV ? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Thanx alot

Will try something different to upload files.
Or use ftp -- unless webdav blocks that aswell.

OR might upload to our apache server Smile

Heiko

Wade A. Hilmo [MS] wrote:
 > Pardon my jumping in here, but running UrlScan on a per-site basis is not
 > supported by Microsoft.
 >
 > It can work, but there are some "gotchas". For example, if you have a
 > different instances of UrlScan installed as site filters, they cannot have
 > different configurations. For example, if you have 5 sites, each with a
 > copy of UrlScan and its ini file in a different directory, all 5 instances
 > of UrlScan will use the configuration from the first instance that's loaded
 > into memory. Since site filters are loaded on site initialization, the
 > first request to one of the sites will determine which instance is loaded
 > first, thus making it non-deterministic which configuration will apply,
 > unless all configurations are identical.
 >
 > Thank you,
 > -Wade A. Hilmo,
 > -Microsoft
 >


 >
  >>As Wade has said, you cannot get PUT without enabled WebDAV (which then
  >>allows other verbs like LOCK, MOVE, etc to be valid).
  >>
  >>I realize that it is not possible to enable WebDAV on a granular basis.
 >
 > But
 >
  >>it is possible to get close (with a little work).
  >>
  >>I believe "Write" access in IIS Manager UI has to be enabled for the
  >>vdir/URL in question to allow PUT to work. So, even though the verbs are
  >>allowed, you still get to control where they function. You can also run
  >>URLScan on a per-site basis on the other nine sites to disallow
 >
 > "Translate:
 >
  >>f" header, which stops most WebDAV behaviors from happening.
  >>
  >>--
  >>//David
  >>IIS
  >>http://blogs.msdn.com/David.Wang
  >>This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
 >
 > rights.
 >
  >>//


  >>Hi
  >>
  >>Was hoping for a different answer Smile
  >>
  >>Is it at all possible to enable WebDAV for separate websites.
  >>AFAIK the setting is global.
  >>We got like 10 different sites, and only one of them needs this upload
  >>access (for a single folder). Would not like to open (wouldn't) up
  >>security on all sites.
  >>
  >>Thanx
  >>
  >>Heiko
  >>
  >>
  >>
  >>Wade A. Hilmo [MS] wrote:
  >>
   >>>Hi Heiko,
   >>>
   >>>The PUT handler in IIS 6 is implemented inside of WebDAV. There is no
 >
 > way
 >
   >>>to get put without WebDAV.
   >>>
   >>>Thank you,
   >>>-Wade A. Hilmo,
   >>>-Microsoft
   >>>


   >>>
   >>>
   >>>>Hi
   >>>>
   >>>>Anyone know how to enable HTTP PUT without WebDAV in IIS 6 ?
   >>>>
   >>>>I am using InternetOpen/InternetConnect/HttpOpenRequest ... to upload
   >>>>file. ie no ASP script or similar, -- else I would try adding PUT to the
   >>>>application extensions
   >>>>
   >>>>TIA
   >>>>
   >>>>Heiko Risser
   >>>
   >>>
   >>>
  >>
 >
 >
 >> Stay informed about: How to enable HTTP PUT without WebDAV ? 
Back to top
Login to vote
Display posts from previous:   
Related Topics:
How to Re-enable WebDAV after IIS Lockdown - Hello. On a Windows 2000 server with IIS 5.0, can WebDAV be re-enabled after IIS lockdown has been run, without undoing the entire lockdown? If so, how? Thank you. Ron Sochanski

How to enable HTTP compression? - I cannot enable HTTP compression in "Web Sites" Service Tab! Options are disabled / gray. Why I cannot enable HTTP compression?

Enable HTTP conectivity - Hi All, Is there anyone know how to Enable HTTP conectivity using IIS windows server 2003 ? Thanks Firman

IIS 7 - How to enable write / HTTP PUT - Hi, I need to make a fodler under IIS7 where a program can upload some files via HTTP. But I just can't seem to find the "Write" permission checkbox from IIS6. Is it enough to just set write permissions for the specified user at the windows l...

IIS 7 - How to enable write / HTTP PUT #2 - Hi, I need to make a fodler under IIS7 where a program can upload some files via HTTP. But I just can't seem to find the "Write" permission checkbox from IIS6. What must I do in IIS 7.0 to enable HTTP PUT to a given folder on my web ? In I...
   Web Hosting Problem Solving Community! (Home) -> IIS All times are: Pacific Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



[ Contact us | Terms of Service/Privacy Policy ]